Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Jazzlyn's First Day of Grad School

Yesterday Jazz had her first day of Grad School in Nursing Masters Program. The story is as follows:

Darrell's team of doctors wanted him to have a wrist joint biopsy done on his right wrist (the one that has been messed up for at least 2 years now-this will be explained in a future post) on Tuesday 3/25/08 at 4:15. Shala had class the same night at 6 pm at the college. The plan was perfect in theory and would have worked out, but these types of plans never work out when you are dealing with the orthopedic department at Morse Ave. Kaiser.

The plan was that Shala would wait for me to finish the biopsy, and then I would take Jazz and go to the store and visit Josh and Amy while Shala was in class.

We arrived at the hospital at 3:45 as instructed only to find out that the patient ahead of me was running late (I always expect at least a 30 minute wait for the ortho dept.). The problem this time was that the fiber optic scope the Doctor used to put in the patients wrist was not working and the back up scope did not have the proper connection to hook up to the monitor because the back-up was not upgraded with the new monitor and new scope. It figures that the manufacturer would change the connection so that you have to buy all new equipment instead of piece by piece. This required the tech to search the hospital for a scope that would fit the monitor. After trying about 3 different scopes to no avail, they brought in a new monitor tower that still didn't work. Finally they found a scope that would work, but it had to be sterilized before it could be brought into the procedure room taking up even more time.

While all this was going on I was lying in a hospital type bed with a little hospital gown on waiting for my turn to get poked and cut open. Finally around 6:35 I went into the room to start my biopsy that only took about 10 minutes.

Shala had to make it to class so she left the hospital with Jazz around 5:40 making it to her class with Jazz a little late. In this class she was suppose to present her lesson plan that she put together and published onto a web-site and in a PowerPoint presentation. This was cut short because Jazz was screaming. The funny part is that a few of Shala's classmates were trying their best to keep Jazz occupied and pleas her demand for attention. One classmate was getting flustered because she wouldn't quiet down and was asking Shala where her bottle was (Bottle was in the car because Shala was late for class and was in a rush). Another classmate was equally flustered asking if she had a luvluv thing for her to play with (also forgotten in the car). Little did they know that Jazz was only tired and wanted to be put down to sleep.

I left the hospital for the college at 7:45 via RT bus #82 which I only paid $1 for instead of $2 because that is all I had and the kind driver let it slide. By the time I walked into the class to pick up Jazz, she was asleep and all of the students blurted out that it figures I would arrive after she went to sleep.

It was a long night for Shala, I only had a few minutes of pain. I must say that Shala was the one that got shafted.

3 comments:

Becca said...

Shala you are such a trooper and Jazzlyn too! She's a nurse in the making.

AP said...

Oh man, that would be tough! You guys should have called, Josh or I could have come down and picked you up. Next time drop Jazzlyn off here, we would love to play with her!

KJK said...

HA she is so cute, I showed her to Rita and Kimber, they all liked the picture of her "cutie" pants. I am trying to figure out how to do my own blog now. Say hi Jazzy...say hi :) Mahalo